Chomolari Trek (15 Days)
Chomolari Trek, 9 days trek starts at Drugyal Dzong in the north of Paro Valley. Hiking through rice paddy fields, apple orchards, forests, rushing steams, the trek gradually becomes challenging. After two nights camping in the wooded alpine forests and meadows, you will arrive at Jangothang base camp and from here you will have a stunning view of 7513m Mount Chomolari. The next day’s trail is through high pastureland and after crossing the highest point, Nyile La Pass (4,890m), you arrive at Lingshi, the highest settlement in the north. You will have some spectacular views of the high ridges and snow-capped mountains. Yaks, blue sheep, musk deer and elusive marmots are also the common sights on this trek. The last few days trek, through conifer forests, canyons and streams, you arrive at Dodena, where your car will be waiting here to transfer to Thimphu. Take a hot shower in the hotel and relax for the next day’s tour in the city.
ItineraryDay 01: Kathmandu (1400m). Pick up and drop to Hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu Sightseeing
Day 03: Arrival Paro (Departure to Paro by Druk Air)
Day 04: Paro Acclimatization Hike to Tiger's Nest
Day 05: Paro-Shana (2870m / 17 km, 5-6 hours) Trek starts. Overnight at camp.
Day 06: Shana- Sio Thangkha (3750m / 20 km, 7-8 hours) . Overnight at camp.
Day 07: Sio Thangkha- Jangothang (4040m / 19 km, 7-8 hours). Overnight at camp.
Day 08: Rest day at Jangothang (Base Camp). Overnight at camp.
Day 09: Jangothang –Lingshi (4000m / 18 km, 7-8 hours). Overnight at camp.
Day 10: Lingshi- Shodu (4820m / 22 km, 8-9 hours). Overnight at camp.
Day 11: Shodu-Barshong (3600m / 16 km, 6-7 hours). Overnight at camp.
Day 12: Barshong-Dolam Kencho (3600m / 15 km, 5-6 hours). Overnight at camp.
Day 13: Dolam Kencho-Dodena-Thimphu (8 km, 3 hours) Trek ends. Overnight at hotel.
Day 14: Thimphu - Paro departure. Arrive Kathmandu, Overnight at hotel.
Day 15: Departure according to your time schedule
- Trekking days - 11
- Total days - 15
- Min. Altitude - (1400m./4593ft.)
- Max. Altitude - (4820m./15814ft.)
- Overal walking - 5/6 hrs P/D
- Trip Nature - Trekking & Hiking
- Difficulty - Medium
- Min. group size - 2
- Age Limit -
- Best Time - Autumn: September, October, November / Spring:
* Airport/Hotel/Airport pick up & drop by private car/van/bus (all airport transfers).
* 3 night's hotel with Breakfast in Kathmandu
* 1 Full day sightseeing in Kathmandu with experience tour guide
* Bhutan Visa Fees and Visa Processing assistance
* Standard government approved accommodation (in twin share rooms) for the duration of tour.
* Service of licensed English speaking Bhutanese Tour Guides.
* All sightseeing tours, Monument /Museum entrance Fees as per itinerary.
* All meals fixed breakfast, lunch & dinner with Tea and Coffee for whole duration of your stay in Bhutan.
* Country Presentation & Tour Briefing on Day 1 evening with welcome drinks.
* Cultural afternoon/evening consisting of traditional mask dances & folk dances (with beverages) ~ For Group Tours
* Ground Transport according to the itinerary
* All our government taxes.
* Tourist service charge, vat.
* Tented accommodation and equipments during the camping trek. (You will be provided water proof two-three man dome tents, sleeping mattress, air pillows, dining tents, kitchen gears, dining table, chairs, toilet tents, shower tent etc.)
* All trekking arrangements and required number of staff.
* All trekking permits logistics & fees.
* Route Permits & monument access permits
* Luggage will be hauled by horses, mules or yaks at higher elevations.
* Bottled/alcoholic/cold drinks, room service and a la cart meals.
* Your travel insurance (compulsory).
* International airfares and airport departure tax.
* Photography charges (if and when applicable).
* Items of a personal nature such as laundry.
* Personal Equipment.
* Tips to guides, restaurants, hotel lobby, porters and trekking staff. (Tipping is expected.)
* Any others expenses which are not mentioned on Price Includes section.
* Personal trekking Equipment.
* Airfare Kathmanu-Paro US$ 212 one way (round trip US$ 428 subject to change), airport departure tax
* Tourist development fee US$ 10 p/pax (guide will collect this)
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
Price can be also customized. Group and Travel Agent discount available as per request.
Long ItineraryDay 01: Kathmandu (1400m). Pick up and drop to Hotel. Short breefings about the tour and trek. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Kathmandu Sightseeing tour with professional tour guide. Kathmandu Durbar Square, Boudhanath Temple, Monkey Temple. Overnight at hotel.
Day 03: Arrival Paro (Departure to Paro)
The flight to Paro crosses the Himalayan Mountains, affording spectacular views of the awesome peaks, including the sacred Jumolhari and Jichu Drake peaks in Bhutan. On arrival you will be greeted by our representative and transferred to your hotel. In the afternoon you can visit the Paro Dzong (fortress). It was built in 1646 and now houses government offices and religious institutions. You'll cross a traditional wooden bridge on the way to the Dzong. Afterward you will visit Kichu Lhakhang, one of the oldest and the most sacred shrine in the country. Overnight hotel in Paro.
Day 04: Rest and Sightseeing day at Paro
After breakfast hike to Taktsang (Tiger's Nest) Monastery, Bhutan's most famous monastery, which stands at 3100m gives you acclimatization for the next day’s trek. The 8th century Spiritual Master, Guru Rinpoche is said to have flown on the back of a tigress from Singye Dzong in Lhuntse to meditate in a cave where Taktsang Monastery now stands. It is perched on the edge of a steep cliff, about 900 meters above Paro Valley. Explore the Monastery hike back to Paro. In the evening you can explore Paro Town. Overnight hotel.
Day 05: Paro-Shana (2870m / 17 km, 5-6 hours) Trek starts
The trek starts from Drugyal Dzong at 2,580 m with a downhill walk on a wide trail. The trail climbs gently traversing through well-maintained rice terraces and fields of millet. The route later enters an area of apple orchards and forests. Soon the valley widens and you reach the army post of Gunitsawa at 2,810m. This is the last stop before Tibet. At 2,870m, just beyond Shana Zampa. Overnight at camp.
Day 06: Shana- Sio Thangkha (3750m / 20 km, 7-8 hours)
The trail again follows Pa Chhu (Paro River), ascending and descending through pine, oak and spruce forests. Hot lunch will be served after crossing the bridge towards the left side of the river. After lunch follow the river climbing up through rhododendron forests and finally crossing the bridge again, reaching to the campsite at the altitude of 3,750m. Overnight at camp.
Day 07: Sio Thangkha- Jangothang (4040m / 19 km, 7-8 hours)
The path ascends for a while till you reach the army camp. Then follow the river above the tree line enjoying the stunning view of surrounding peaks. Hot lunch will be served inside a yak herder’s camp. A short walk into the valley will take you to the camp at Jangothang at an altitude of 4,040m. From here, the view of Mt. Jhomolhari and Jichu Drake are superb. Overnight at camp.
Day 08: Rest day at Jangothang (Base Camp)
Today is a rest and acclimatization for the next day’s highest climb on this trek. You will hike to explore nearby mountains and lakes. Overnight at camp.
Day 09: Jangothang –Lingshi (4000m / 18 km, 7-8 hours)
The trail follows the stream or half an hour and crosses the bridge to the right side. Start the climb up to the first ridge with a breathtaking view of Jhomolhari, Jichu Drake and Tshering Gang. Then Walk towards the valley, almost flat for a while, until the climb to the Ngye La pass at an altitude of 4,700m. After the pass, it is a gradual descent to the Lingshi camp, enjoying the panoramic view of the peaks and Lingshi Dzong. Overnight at camp.
Day 10: Lingshi- Shodu (4820m / 22 km, 8-9 hours)
The Laya Gasa route leaves the Jhomolhari trek here. The trek route climbs towards a small white Chorten on a ridge above the camp, then turns south up the deep Mo Chhu valley. The trail stays on the west side of the largely treeless valley, climbing steadily a short distance above Mo Chhu. It then crosses the river, and climbs steeply for two hours to Yeli La pass (4,820m). From the pass, on a clear day, you can see Jhomolhari, Gangchen Ta, Tshering Gang and Masang Gang. Descend alongside a stream to a shelter, and then further downstream to a camp at Shodu (4,100m), a meadow with a Chorten.
Day 11: Shodu-Barshong (3600m / 16 km, 6-7 hours)
At this place, one comes back to tree line. The path follows Thimphu River, descending through rhododendron, juniper and other alpine forests. The view of the cliff facing rocks and waterfalls is stunning. Hot lunches will be served by the riverside. After lunch the trail gradually ascends to the ruins of riversides. After lunch the trail gradually ascends to the ruins of Barshong Dzong, reaching the camp at an altitude of 3,600m. Overnight at camp.
Day 12: Barshong-Dolam Kencho (3600m / 15 km, 5-6 hours)
The trail descends gently through a dense forest of rhododendron, birch and conifers, and then drops steeply to meet Thimphu Chhu. It stays on river left, climbing over ridges and descending to side streams. Then traverses steep cliff to Dolam Kencho, a camp among pastureland at 3,600m. Overnight at camp.
Day 13: Dolam Kencho-Dodena-Thimphu (8 km, 3 hours) Trek ends
The trail goes in and out steeply to the river and follows it southward to the road head at Dodena, elevation 2,600m where you will be picked up by our transport to drive to Thimphu. Overnight hotel in Thimphu.
Day 12: Thimphu - Paro departure - Kathmandu
After breakfast, you will drive to Paro airport for departure. We pick up you from international airport in Kathmandu and drive to hotel. Overnight at hotle.
Day 13: Departure: We drop you in international airport or follow according to your plan.
Extend your trip
- 10 Days | Medium | Bhutan